Collegiate Stars Receive Threats from Fans After Devastating Upsets

Collegiate Stars Receive Threats from Fans After Devastating Upsets

2nd seed, Ohio State, lost in their first round matchup against Oral Roberts, a team few were aware of prior to the upset. Ohio State lost to a 15 seed, a very rare occurrence, happening only nine times in the history of March Madness.


Following that loss, Buckeyes star E.J. Liddell received horrible messages on social media which threatened him and called him racial slurs. 

Liddel released those messages to the public, where he received tons of support from fellow players and fans. Ohio State also contacted law enforcement to address those who dealt the threats. Liddel expressed his disappointment at the fans, and acknowledged that while “98% of Buckeyes fans are supportive even in the bad times, there’s always the other 2%… They act out of emotion.


RELATED: March Miracle: Sister Jean’s Prayer Answered In Form Of Loyola Chicago Winning Game Against #1-Ranked Illinois

E.J. Liddell is not alone in his experience. After the second round, following Illinois’s loss at the hands of Loyola-Chicago, big man Kofi Cockburn received similar messages on instagram, to which he responded “I blame [their] parents.” 


These threats are not new, and many athletes, collegiate and professional, reached out to support Liddel and Cockburn. Liddel hopes that by speaking out, and utilizing law enforcement, people will think twice before clicking send on a threatening post.

About At The Buzzer

At The Buzzer, or ATB, is the place for those who love sports, life, family, community, and so much more. We are far from the run of the mill 24/7 sports news websites. We not only bring you what’s happening in the world of sports in terms of trades and breaking news, but we also bring you the news that goes on behind the scenes. The stuff you don’t see during the 48 minutes of an NBA game or the 60 minutes of an NFL game. We let you know what’s going on in the lives of your favorite athletes. From big life moments like becoming a mother or a father to highlighting personal videos of them raising their little ones, At The Buzzer is the place you go when you want to relate to the athlete you root for on a daily basis. If you're interested in how Russell Wilson juggles being one of the best quarterbacks in the league while also being a doting husband and father-of-three, we got you covered. Interested in seeing a video of Iman Shupert's three-month-old baby speaking her first words, we have that here at ATB. Or would you rather watch Tiger Woods' son growing up and following in his father's footsteps, don't worry, we can show you that too. At The Buzzer is so much more than sports. It's relatable, reliable, and ready to show you a side of sports you didn't know existed. Our goal at ATB is to bring you relatable, entertaining news that will leave you feeling closer and more informed about the people you are looking up to and rooting for. Sports are more than just a group of organizations that entertain you, it's about the people who make up those organizations and the stories of how they became the people they are today. So take a minute and read one of our articles, we promise you won't regret it.

%d bloggers like this: