Starting Las Vegas Raiders quarterback Derek Carr was benched for the final two games of the NFL season. However, after careful consideration, the veteran athlete won’t be coming back for the rest of the year.
Initially, the 31-year-old planned to sit out for both Week 17 and 18 games. However, according to Sports Illustrated, the team and the quarterback made the mutual decision for him to step away from the team for the entirety of this season on account of him being a distraction. As of Wednesday, backup quarterback Jarrett Stidham will take over Carr’s position.
“None of us is happy with where we’re at, but we think it’s an opportunity to evaluate a younger player who hasn’t had much time to play,” said Las Vegas head coach Josh McDaniels. “Talking to Derek, who was great, he understands the scenario that we’re in, the situation, very supportive of the two guys.”
Stidham is a 2019 fourth-round pick and has been patiently waiting for a starting position since then. According to running back Josh Jacobs, getting him in the game will certainly pay off. “He can spin the ball,” he said, per ESPN. “He’s been in the system longer than any quarterback we’ve had here. So he knows what’s going on. He knows what reads to make. It’s going to be fun to see him in the game.”
RELATED: Formula 1 Prohibits ‘Political, Religious and Personal’ Statements,’ During All Racing Events
Las Vegas Raiders running back discusses Derek Carr and the decision to bench him
Carr’s teammate and close friend Davante Adams has also weighed in on the situation, noting that the decision to keep the veteran behind in the locker room is the best option for the state of the team. “Obviously, I don’t think anybody was excited about it in here,” Adams said of the quarterback’s demotion in a press conference. “Him being one of my really good friends and the reason why I came here in the first place.”
Adams added the sentiments, “I wouldn’t be here right now if he wasn’t here. … Obviously I support my guy. We’ve got to finish the season up the best way we can possibly with all things considered at this point.”
The decision to pull Carr comes as a slight surprise, especially when considering the athlete holds nearly all the franchise’s records. In addition, he signed a three-year, $121.5 million contract extension in the spring. Despite all of this, only time will tell what is next for the 31-year-old Las Vegas Raiders historic figure.
At The Buzzer, or ATB is the place for those who love sports, life, family, community, and so much more. We are far from the run-of-the-mill 24/7 sports news websites. We not only bring you what’s happening in the world of sports in terms of trades and breaking news, but we also bring you the news that goes on behind the scenes, like big life moments, and so much more. So take a minute and read one of our articles, we promise you won't regret it.